This was the song I was listening when I grabbed that orange juice and like a fiendishly wild person just poured it into my batter without much thought of chemistry. Oops. It kind of poured in, in slow motion as the chorus played… and in my mind there was definitely confetti and a bunch of people in the kitchen with me jumping around and dancing…
Sugar… it’s a hell of a drug. And as the name of my blog suggests… I’d just eaten a bunch. I try and be healthy during the week so I can literally blow any nutritionist’s mind on a Sunday with my sugar frenzied baking antics. Not saying it’s good. Just saying it’s what I do and I’m into it.
Anyway.. I added a bunch of orange juice, and it worked out fine, so here’s the recipe for any of you guys who don’t want to risk it. If you want to take a walk on the dark side as I so clearly did… splash some juice in your dough… I dares ya. You only live once.
WARNING: You will need a kitchen blowtorch for this recipe.
All Hail Orangey S’more Cupcakes
- 110g butter, softened
- 110g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 100g butter, softened
- 100g icing sugar
- 100g cocoa powder
- 1-2 tsp milk
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 220g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
The Orange Cupcakes:
Chocolate Buttercream That Dreams Are Made of:
- Preheat the oven to 180C and pop some paper cases into a 12 hole cupcake tin.
- For the cupcakes, mix the butter and sugar together in a bowl. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl with the vanilla extract. Add this to the butter mix.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder (you should sieve these both together before), adding the orange juice. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases up to a quarter way up (Those bad boys are going to rise.... and they should only come up to the top of the case for decoration to be optimal)
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Leave them to cool... have a little nibble of one.. because you can.
- For the chocolate buttercream icing, beat the butter until soft. Add in the icing sugar and beat until thoroughly mixed. Finally add the cocoa powder and milk until throughly beaten in and smooth.
- Spoon the buttercream onto the cool cupcakes - you can pipe it on if you want it to be tidy. But these are s'mores, so I like em rough.
- For the meringue, get a super dry and clean bowl. Add in your egg whites, vanilla essence, salt and caster sugar and beat with a handmixer or KitchenAid type thing. It should form stiff peaks.
- Spoon or pip ontop of the chocolate buttercream. Now get your blowtorch and gently flame the sides of the meringue.