My mum always cooked ocra growing up. She cooks it sliced with jeera, garlic and tomatoes.
One thing people akways say about ocra is that it’s slimey. If you don’t like it like that, you should batter it with turmeric and rice flour. Shallow fry it.
Slimey? No. More like heavenly.
Inspired by Dishoom’s incredible fried ocra.
- 200g ocra, washed halved and with ends cut off
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 100ml almond milk
- 50g rice flour
- 1.5 tbsp turmeric powder
- In a bowl mix the turmeric, milk, rice flour and salt.
- Heat a pan on medium high heat with oil in.
- Prepare a plate with kitchen roll on to soak up any excess oil
- Dip each ocra half into the batter and fry in the oil until the batter is goldeny brown
- Dip in yoghurt and hot sauce