Last week I had a lazy Sunday and made some beetroot pasta. I ate it with a bacon, leek and mushroom creme fraiche sauce.. it was delicious.. This Sunday, I am going to bake a rhubarb and raspberry meringue pie for my grandma… so I better get to it!
- For the Beet Purée:
- 2 small beets (approximately 7 ounces), rinsed and trimmed
- For the Dough:
- 10 ounces all purpose flour
- 5 yolks from 5 large eggs
- 1 whole large egg
- 4 tablespoons beet purée (see note above)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for salting water
- Add the beetroot to a large pot of water and boil until cook through. This takes about 30 mins. Using a colander, strain out the water and add wash with cold water to help them cool. Leave to cool for about 20 mins. Use a hand blender or food processor to make a puree.
- yolks, salt and cooled beetroot puree.
- In a large bowl, add the sieved flour. Make a well in the middle and add the eggs, egg Use your hands to gently and gradually mix together the flour with wet mixture. until you make a dough consistency.
- Knead with the heel of your hand into a ball. This will allow the dough to develop a more elastic texture.
- Cling film the dough and leave it to rest for half an hour.
- Use a rolling pin on a well floured surface nd roll the dough out until its about half a cm thick. Flour your pasta machine and run the dough through twice on the thickest setting. Then, fold the pasta four times again, flatten with the rolling pin and run it through the pasta machine again making the setting on the pasta machine more narrow with each time you run the pasta through.
- Adjust pasta machine to pasta setting of your choice. Working one dough segment at a time, feed dough through the pasta-cutter.
- Sprinkle finished pasta with flour to make sure it does not stick
- To cook - add to boiling, salted water for around 5 minutes