Savoury porridge is awesome. I know a lot of us are used to this stuff for breakfast with sugar and honey on, but in an attempt to broaden my porridge horizons and make sure that I don’t overload on sugar – even when it comes in the form of fruit or honey it is still sugar.
How do you make this savoury porridge?
- 2 cups oats
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup of milk
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pinch oregano, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Serrano Ham
- Add the oats, chicken stock, milk, salt and pepper to a pot and cook on medium heat until the oats and fully cooked through.
- In a pan add the olive oil and fry the oregano and leeks until they start to go golden. Add the peas and mushrooms and cook on medium heat until fully cooked
- Serve the oats into two bowls, add the leeks and peas on top.
- Finally, add the serrano ham and serve.