As I have mentioned a fair few times – our neighbours are awesome. They bring us awesome food gifts and this time they brough us three baskets of Physalis. YUM! I know you can’t eat the crunchy leaves on them.. but I just think they look so nice on top of a cake…
My weekend was absolutely fabulous. I got a well needed early night on friday, after our house party on Wednesday night, followed by street parties on thursday which was a public holiday, and then various wacky happenings that night meaning i got almost no sleep. So friday at work was pretty hellish. Keeping my eyes open was hideously difficult. Saturday was such a beautiful day and i went to offstoff by Maybachufer to get some really cool table cloth like materials (like the one in the photo). They have the BEST fabrics. So stunning, I wanted to buy the whole shop. I recommend it. This was followed by canal bank sitting with my friend Marie. Then i baked this glorious Physalis cake with white chocolate and yoghurt icing.
The day was rounded up by a night out at Hot Pony (disco) and then La Regla. It’s a latino night in Mehringdamm and MAN, was it good. I’m so bored of clubs in Berlin where there is no energy or confidence and everyone is too afraid to flirt. La Regla was full of confident people who were like ” yes, i’m sexy and i’m gonna show it”. So fun. I can’t salsa for shit, but apparently as a girl you just follow the guy… still convinced I looked like a baboon in a china shop. But meh, it was fun. I felt genuinely revitalized after.
I heart Physalis LOAF
- 250g butter
- 100 g caster sugar
- 150g brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- a handful grapes, seeded
- a handful physalis, no leaves attached
- 250g self raising flour, sieved
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 tbsp plain yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 175°C and grease a loaf tin
- Cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy
- Mix in the eggs until thoroughly mixed
- Add the grapes and physalis and plain yoghurt and mix until thoroughly mixed
- Sieve in the flour and bicarbonate of soda and fold in until everything is evenly mixed.
- Pour into the pre-greased loaf tin
- Bake for about 25-30 mins on the middle shelf (or until a skewer come out clean, when poked)
- Leave to cool
- 330g powdered sugar
- 57g butter, softened
- 170g plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp grated white chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 handful physalis
- Cream the powdered sugar and butter together until light and fluffy
- Add in all the other ingredient until light and thoroughly mixed.
- Spoon onto the cooled cake and decorate with physalis