cake recipes

Rose Macarons recipe and tips

March 12, 2014

rose macaroons recipe

Yesterday was my friend Toms birthday. He loves a baked good, so I made him these pink macaroons which are rose flavoured. Plus my mum bought me some of that cracking candy you used to eat as a kid, in gold, so I added some of that on top too! Really cute.

The key with macaroons apart from the biscuits themselves is a delicious filling. It’s what makes it. My favourite macaroon filling was always passion fruit, because it brings a tang to the sweetness. Rose is also delicious though so don’t you worry!

rose macaroons recipe

A lot of people think macaroons are really hard – and I wouldn’t say mine are completely perfect but I think knowing a few of the following tips will make this recipe a far less intimidating venture:
Β
1. When you pipe macaroons out, don’t do it like icing. Just place the pipe in the middle and pipe down onto one spot, until you have made the size of circle you wish.
2. Piping macaroons often leaves a little peak at the top of the macaroon. If you want a smooth look, dip a teaspoon into cold water and brush the bottom of the spoon over the peak to flatten it.
3. Once you have piped out the macaroons, leave them to dry for about 10 minutes BEFORE putting them in the oven
4. Once you take the macaroons out of the oven, pour some water between the baking tray and the greaseproof paper. This will make some steam which will help to loosen the macaroons and prevent ripping when you try and remove them.

rose macaroons recipe

rose macarons

Ingredients

1. 100g ground almonds
  2. 100g icing sugar
  3. 90g egg whites (from 3 large eggs)
  4. 100g caster sugar
  5. pink food colouring
  6. Filling:
  7. 8 tablespoons butter, softened
  8. ΒΌ cup powdered sugar
  9. 2 tablespoons rose jam
  10. pink food coloring

Instructions

1. Preheat to oven to 150Β°C and place a sheet of greaseproof paper on a baking tray
  2. Sieve the almonds and icing sugar into a bowl and mix thoroughly
  3. In a separate bowl use a hand mixer to beat the egg whites until they start to thicken. Then slowly add the caster sugar until the mix is thick, white and forms stiff peaks.
  4. Fold the almond mixture into the egg whites with metal spoon until thoroughly mixed and add the food colouring at this point.
  5. Put this mixture into a piping bag and pipe circular splodges around 2 or 2.5 cm wide onto the greaseproof paper with some space in between (about 1 cm). Don't pipe like you would pipe frosting on a cupcake- just choose a central point and pipe onto that point until the circle grows in size. Here is a video that I watched to learn how to pipe macaroons.
  6. To get rid of the peaks and create a smoother macaroon, use the bottom side of a teaspoon with cold water and brush accross the peak to smoothen it gently. Add some decoration like golden cracking stones (edible ones) or leave plain.
  7. Leave the piped macaroons to dry a bit for 10 minutes and then place in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes
  8. Remove from the oven and then immediately pour some cold water between the greaseproof paper and the baking tray to create steam. This makes it easier to remove the macaroons without tearing them. DON'T get the macaroons wet.
  9. Allow them to cool.
  10. For the filling mix all the ingredients together thoroughly.
  11. Once the macaroons are cooled, carefully pipe some filling onto one and then place another one on top like a sandwich.
  12. Voila!

Happy baking

Trisha

p.s Here is a link to Helene Dujardin’s amazing issuu on how to make macaroons, it is very thorough. Thanks Sini for sharing :).

Email this to someoneShare on LinkedInPin on PinterestShare on TumblrTweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

You Might Also Like

21 Comments

• Reply Sarahmia March 12, 2014 at 4:53 pm

These look great! I’ve only made macarons once (I had the wrong size piping tips so they were a bit misshapen) but after trying some Laduree macarons in Paris I’m tempted to try them again! πŸ™‚

• Reply Trisha March 12, 2014 at 10:55 pm

you should they are fun! next time i want to make passion fruit ones

• Reply Tom March 13, 2014 at 9:26 am

Thanks Trisha! These were delicious!

• Reply Trisha March 13, 2014 at 9:42 am

glad you liked them Tom! x

• Reply Sini | my blue&white kitchen March 13, 2014 at 3:06 pm

I’m new to your site, Trisha, and really love it! Your photography is great and I get so inspired by your recipes. Will definitely come back πŸ™‚
    I love macarons too. They’re so versatile! My favorite flavor is probably cherry blossom (I use a cherry blossom extract that I’ve brought in Japan) but now I’m intrigued to make some rose macarons! Have you spotted the great macaron tutorial from HΓ©lΓ¨ne Dujardin? It’s how I learned to make superb macarons. Check it out: http://issuu.com/helened/docs/demystifyingmacarons

• Reply Trisha March 13, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Thanks Sini – so flattered. I love your blog and photos πŸ™‚ THIS IS SUCH AN AMAZING tutorial. Does it say how to get rid of the peaks completely? I will add it to my post. thanks for sharing x

• Reply Sini | my blue&white kitchen March 13, 2014 at 5:50 pm

The peaks should automatically flatten out when the batter is right. If it doesn’t automatically flatten out in a couple of seconds, you haven’t broken your meringue down enough. I think Aran from Cannelle et Vanille has some great macaron tips too! You should definitely browse through her macaron posts.

• Reply Josefine {The Smoothie Lover} March 13, 2014 at 8:10 pm

These macarons are so pretty. I’m definitely one of those persons who think they are incredibly hard to make. I mean – I’ve tried multiple times but I’ve never succeed.
    After reading this post I have to try again though. I had never thought of dipping a spoon in water and then using it to flatten out the macarons. Great idea! Thanks for the lovely tips.

• Reply filmeel March 14, 2014 at 12:18 am

You make macarons seem so much less intimidating – these are lovely!

• Reply Trisha March 14, 2014 at 7:15 am

Thanks! they arent perfect but hopefully my next ones will be x

• Reply Jessica March 14, 2014 at 1:45 pm

i love that these macarons sparkle! they look so great!

• Reply Trisha March 14, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Thanks Jessica. have a great weekeend! x

• Reply Dragana @abouthealthyfood March 15, 2014 at 10:23 am

This is so original:) Awesome!
    Your Photos are great.

• Reply Trisha March 15, 2014 at 11:55 am

thanks πŸ™‚

• Reply Pang March 16, 2014 at 3:28 pm

what a lovely BD gift… these look so good πŸ™‚

• Reply Trisha March 16, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Thanks Pang πŸ™‚

• Reply Saturday Summary | Bonjour, Blogger! March 16, 2014 at 4:39 pm

[…] knocked up these rose flavoured, hot pink macarons (with some added gold pop rox, amazing!) and now I want to break out my piping bag and have another […]

• Reply Kaylee @ Lemons and Basil March 17, 2014 at 3:09 pm

LOVE the bright pink frosting, beautiful pictures!!

• Reply Trisha March 17, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Thanks Kaylee πŸ™‚

• Reply Zainab @ Blahnik Baker March 18, 2014 at 3:55 am

These are beautiful. I love making macarons and even though they are hard sometimes, they are worth it. Rose macarons sound delicious!

• Reply Laura Packham March 28, 2014 at 9:27 am

These look so colourfully delicious, I simply must try them this weekend!
    I too, have always been a bit partial to a passionfruit filling (or mango) but I am excited to try rose.
    Also, I just Love the blog, great food stories and photography – a real pleasure to read.
    I am the Community Manager over at Gourmandize UK & Ireland and I think your macaron recipe is excellent, so much so that I would recommend that you take a look at our Macaron Master Challenge currently on for another week.

Have a great weekend.