Yesterday was my friend Toms birthday. He loves a baked good, so I made him these pink macaroons which are rose flavoured. Plus my mum bought me some of that cracking candy you used to eat as a kid, in gold, so I added some of that on top too! Really cute.
- 100g ground almonds
- 100g icing sugar
- 90g egg whites (from 3 large eggs)
- 100g caster sugar
- pink food colouring
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons rose jam
- pink food coloring
- Preheat to oven to 150°C and place a sheet of greaseproof paper on a baking tray
- Sieve the almonds and icing sugar into a bowl and mix thoroughly
- In a separate bowl use a hand mixer to beat the egg whites until they start to thicken. Then slowly add the caster sugar until the mix is thick, white and forms stiff peaks.
- Fold the almond mixture into the egg whites with metal spoon until thoroughly mixed and add the food colouring at this point.
- Put this mixture into a piping bag and pipe circular splodges around 2 or 2.5 cm wide onto the greaseproof paper with some space in between (about 1 cm). Don't pipe like you would pipe frosting on a cupcake- just choose a central point and pipe onto that point until the circle grows in size. Here is a video that I watched to learn how to pipe macaroons.
- To get rid of the peaks and create a smoother macaroon, use the bottom side of a teaspoon with cold water and brush accross the peak to smoothen it gently. Add some decoration like golden cracking stones (edible ones) or leave plain.
- Leave the piped macaroons to dry a bit for 10 minutes and then place in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven and then immediately pour some cold water between the greaseproof paper and the baking tray to create steam. This makes it easier to remove the macaroons without tearing them. DON'T get the macaroons wet.
- Allow them to cool.
- For the filling mix all the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Once the macaroons are cooled, carefully pipe some filling onto one and then place another one on top like a sandwich.