So, I know this blog is called Sugar Thumb and that it has been an age since I posted anything sweet. But have no fear, this weekend I will be baking something deliciously sugary – enough to last you for a while! I am trying to get a bit fitter and bit healthier, so baking cookies and cakes three times a week is a bit dangerous. That said, I could never stop eating sweet things all together – so stay tuned for some baked goodness soon!
In the mean time, I saw some sage leaves at my local market yesterday and I am always drawn to the pale green velvetyness of them. So here is my recipe for buttery sage cous cous and harissa beef stuffed tomatoes.
Harissa beef stuffed tomatoes recipe
6 Large ripe tomatoes
a bunch of sage leaves (fresh)
200g cous cous
2 tbsp and 1 tsp butter
1 tbsp harissa powder (or powdered chilli)
500g minced beef
1 large onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
a small piece of ginger (finely chopped)
2 tbsp apple vinegar
100ml beef stock
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C
2. Cut the tops off the tomatoes and remove all the pulp inside – keep this in a bowl for later.
3. Inside each tomato place some sage leaves, a tiny bit of butter (1 tbsp for all the tomatoes) and a small pinch of salt and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes then remove.
4. For the cous cous, just put the cous cous, a stalk of chopped sage leaves, salt, and 1 tsp of butter add boiling water (as instructed on packet), mix in the herbs and butter and leave to cook with a plate to cover it.
5. For the beef – add butter and onions to a large frying pan and allow the onions to go golden brown, now add the ginger and garlic and stir for about 2 minutes. Add the tomato pulp, beef stock, harissa paste and powder, vinegar and salt and pepper. Leave to simmer on a medium heat for about 20 minutes.
6. In the tomatoes add a layer of harissa beef and a layer of cous cous until full – cook in the over for a further 10 minutes.
7. Serve with raw olive oil and yoghurt as a dip.
Enjoy and HAPPY FRIDAY: Totally have that friday feeling!