So I baked this coffee and pistachio cake with mascarpone, yoghurt and honey in the middle and on top. It isn’t an overwhelmingly coffee flavoured cake, but rather a subtle hint of coffee. It doesn’t have any of the bitterness of coffee. For those coffee lovers who don’t think coffee is bitter.. it just is. Not necessarily in a bad way.. but even when its as freshly ground as the day is young, I still get a hint of bitter!
I love using pistachios because they are just such a wonderful colour!! Also, as tasty as hell. I had to fight off my flatmates hungry paws while I was shelling them and cutting them up, because they kept trying to grab them. At one point I even put a chair against the door to prevent their thieving hands!
Here is the recipe for my
pistachio & coffee cake:
4 tbsp plain yoghurt
2 tbsp clear honey
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C and grease and flour two identical 20 cm round cake tins
2. Cream together the butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy
3. Beat the eggs and then mix them in thoroughly to the sugar mixture
4. Sieve in the flour with the bicarbonate soda and baking powder and fold in until throughly mixed
5. Pour in the cooled coffee and mix in thoroughly
6. Divide equally between the two cake tins and bake at 175°C for about 30 mins or until a skewer comes out clean
7. Leave to cool
8. Once cooled, pour half the marscapone mixture (see below) onto one of the cakes and then place the other cake on top.
9. Spread the rest of the marscarpone mixture on top and arrange the chopped pistachios on top.
1. Mix the marscapone, yoghurt and honey together with a whisk until smooth and lumpless.